We created this blog to publish our writing masterpieces for English class. If you ever need something to read check out our blog we will be updating it weekly. Also, feel free to leave a comment.

Wendell, Gabe, and Rashad

Monday, February 2, 2009

Choices and Captivity and Comparisons

Wendell Frink

Mr. Salsich

9English

2 February 2009

Choices and Captivity and Comparisons

An Essay on Imprisonment

Dictionary.com defines imprisonment as putting someone in prison or in jail as lawful punishment. Imagine that for some reason, you had been “thrown” in jail. What would you like to see out of your cell window everyday? Would it be your favorite place, a group of people, or something totally random? What does freedom mean to you as a person? Whatever you choose, it is of your wanting.

If I was sent to a reformatory (Fast), I would be devastated, but if I were offered to look out the window once a day, I would choose to see two things. “When you look at your life, the greatest happinesses are family happinesses (Joyce Brothers).” My family is the most important aspect in my life. They are there to talk to me, comfort me, have fun with me, and do everything with me. The second scene I would like to see would be a ski mountain. Everyday people arrive, people strive, and people survive (Tricolon). I participate in those actions, and not seeing them would make me forget who I am. These are the two things that I would like to see if I was imprisoned.

Freedom is the essence of being. I would like to be free as an eagle, the emblem of the U.S. Eagles soar to great heights, free from predators, man, and the occasional foe (Purposeful repetition). Eagles are carefree, what happens from day-to-day doesn’t matter to them. I would like to be as free as the air. Air moves all over the planet, forever changing, forever traveling, and forever moving (Tricolon). Air is the basis of life, forever helping. I would like to be as free a good book. People can read what is in the folds of your pages. You can meet new people who open your cover for the first time and have multiple friends. Freedom can be represented in many things.

Maybe you didn’t want anybody to come to your cell. I wouldn’t be able to handle this solitary confinement. And I wouldn’t want to even be imprisoned; being free is all there is for me. Your choices are probably different from mine, but that is your choice.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Hey Wendell ******
One suggestion i have is in your very first paragraph. I think that you should have the quote and then say " is the definition of imprisonment according to...". also make sure you use quotations for a quote. I like how you had three examples of freedom. it added some variety. also i liked your tricolon, but i think you should get rid of the second and third people and just say "everyday people arrive, strive, and survive." other than that great job.
Caroline

Catharine said...

I really liked your opening and closing paragraphs, make sure you pick up little mistakes.
--Catharine